Thursday, June 25, 2009

Braves Baseball stuff-

The Atlanta Braves made a rare television appearance last night on ESPN2, facing the Yankees in inter league play. The game was in Atlanta and sadly, the stadium seemed to have as many Yankee fans as Braves supporters. I am not a Yankee's fan. As far as I understand the salary cap in baseball is, at least in part, meant to keep the playing field level. If a team chooses to spend more than the league allowed amount on player's salaries, there are financial penalties levied. The Yanks go way over the limit, employing a very high powered roster. Money doesn't always get you the results you are after (read- Yanks are 5 games behind the Red Sox in their division) but it is expected to. I'm not a might is right kind of guy. I like the underdog. I like it when a team comes together and finds a way to win. Braves Manager, Bobby Cox says he likes this team very much. Players have commented about how they like the team chemistry. I doubt they have the offense to make a run but still, you never know in baseball, which is part of its appeal to me. In my burgeoning love of baseball, I have taken on a trait of my Great Grandfather, who would sit in his living room getting what he could through the snowy t.v. signal. There is a little bit of a gentlemanly aspect to the game and it is as much a mental game as a physical one. All of this appeals to me. Braves lost the game 8-4 but at least I got to see it.