Friday, September 18, 2009
Anxiety Over Dwelling
For some two years I've occupied the second floor of a farm house divided into two apartments that ceased being a farm house a good many years ago. The folks downstairs are nice and quiet and the location has offered the required measure of solitude and views reminiscent of homes past to sustain me. It is now time to move to something new. The daughter deserves more room than she has and I require a space dedicated for writing. This costs money, the spending of which causes me more anxiety and it also requires decision making, which I have increasingly become poor at. Why such confessions here? (Why the hell not?) I'm struck with how very much a sense of place means to me. I can't buy a place just yet to call my own, at least not without help that I'm unwilling to take. Also, I am unable to allow a place rented to really feel like home. Me and the bank don't own it. So much is about processes and this is certainly that. The result of all this is an opportunity to rent a house near where I presently live which will give me more room but also will cost more. So I need to make a decision. I need to make a decision.....